Thursday, February 21, 2008

The 51st first date

Well it feels like it anyway. The MBA seems to be mostly running, I have had a few "sad macs" anymore then that will sum up the total for my 12" PowerBook over a four year period.

What i like
  • The track pad is out of this world. The gestures just work. Two fingers to scroll down a window, three finger to go back a web page... I can feel how little I have to move the mouse to get stuff done!
  • Its thin and sexy, but seems to have a similar cost of ownership as a super model / super car. It feels like I'm spending as much time under the hood as driving!
  • Microsoft Office 2004 works just fine under Rosetta. I see all the sites complaining about loss of Macros in Office 2008, so I think I'm happy to keep the macros and run under emulation.
What I would like to see improve
  • It takes a long, long time for it to pick up a signal on the airport. My PB picked up the SSID within seconds, the MBA take take 30-60 seconds.
  • I'm not seeing the 5 hours, more like 3.5. I have to figure if its not going to sleep correctly.
  • Can't get WebEx to work. I know others in my organization that have Intel Mac running 10.5.2 and it works and the PB running 10.4.11 is fine...
  • Bigger keys, really! I guess I'm not the greatest of touch typists, but the PB 12" keys were close togther with no gaps... my finger feel like they are constantly going between keys. It may be also because the keyboard is so much larger

No comments: